Guidelines for Gymnasium
Guidelines/Norms approved by the Governing Body on 23-8-2006
Advisory Committee formed in Commissionerates for recommending financial assistance from Welfare Fund should make a survey and satisfy themselves and certify that adequate number of users availing different equipment/gadget/machine/games, particularly cost intensive, to be provided under the facility proposed to be set up will be available for a period of 5 years or more to ensure that the such infrastructure created does not go into disuse or idle, consequent to their creation.
Staff and/or their dependents should be registered individually for membership to avail one or more of the facilities separately (each indoor/outdoor games/sports and Gym.).
Appropriate membership fee for availing each facility should be charged on monthly/quarterly/half-yearly/yearly basis.
For running of a Gym., arrangements for using Gym. eqpt./gadgets under supervision of a qualified Trainer should be made to avoid/prevent any accidental injury to users who are not trained.
Arrangements for maintenance/repair of equipment particularly Gym. should be made.
Running of Sports/Recreational/Gym. Centre should be on self-sustaining basis.
For better utilization by staff and their family members Staff Residential Complexes/Colonies should be given first priority for setting up Gym./Recreation/Sports facilities to the extent possible.
In Commissionerates or other places where there is no Staff Residential Colony Gym./Recreation, facility may be set up in departmental buildings or in buildings on a long term lease.
Sufficient suitable space/accommodation must be available for setting up a Gym./Recreation facility.
No funds will be sanctioned to creating facilities in make shift buildings or buildings on short term rental basis.
No funds shall be sanctioned for any Civil/Electrical Works in connection with site preparation for the proposed facility.
No funds shall be sanctioned for meeting recurring expenditure such as consumables, maintenance of eqpt./gadgets, or wages salary of manpower/staff for the facility.
Refurbishing/up gradation of the facility shall be considered after 5 years or more from the date of previous sanction.
Details of amount received and spent during last 5 years, if any, from regular budget or/and from DOPT/CRSB/or any other agency/organisation to be given.
Amount of financial assistance :
16. Proposals for setting up of facilities like Lawn Tennis Courts, Swimming Pool, etc. involving substantial expenditure, in department's large residential complexes having flats more than 200 and where land is available for setting up such facility, shall be considered by the Governing Body on case to case basis on merit.
17. For all purchases, procedure prescribed under GFR-2005 and CVC guidelines must be followed.
Any of the above conditions may be relaxed by the Governing Body in deserving cases, as per merits of individual case.
List of Items proposed for Gym./ Recreation/Sports facilities and their costs :
NOTE: This calculation is based on current prices taken from invoices received from Commissionerates.
Check List for Gym./Recreation/Sports Centre
(A) For setting up a new Gym./Recreation/Sports Centre :
1. Date of establishment of office.
2 Total staff strength. Number of staff who will avail the facility at least for 5 years or more.
3. Whether facility is proposed to be set up in Office/ Residential Complex?
4. In case of office building, whether building where facility is required is department's owned building or rented on long term lease (period of lease)?
5. Details of departmental offices and others with their staff strength in the same Building/Block or in the immediate vicinity.
6. Is there some other such facility functioning in the immediate vicinity or in the same Building/Block?
7. Whether suitable accommodation/space is available for setting up of facility?
8. Enclose a sketch lay out plan of the accommodation/space where facility is proposed.
9. What is the present arrangement for such facility?
10. What are the pressing reasons that the present arrangement cannot be continued?
11. If there is any change in the sanctioned strength or relocation of other offices in the same Building/Block, or increase in number of staff quarters/ number of occupants, in case of up gradation?
12. Details of arrangements how facility will be run. Whether by outsourcing or by Commissionerate's own arrangements?
13. Whether a Committee has been formed for running/supervision of the facility? If so details to be given.
14. What is the one time expenditure required to set up the facility?
15. What is the estimated recurring expenditure and how it is proposed to be met?
16. What are safety measures/fire fighting arrangements?
What are the arrangements proposed for supervision of a qualified trainer?
How the maintenance/repair of machines/gadgets will be taken care of?
(B) For up gradation/refurbishing of existing Gym./ Recreation/ Sports Centre:
Details of previous sanction(s)
(a) Amount of sanction,
(b) Date of sanction,
(c) List of items/gadgets purchased form the Welfare Fund or regular budget,
(d) List of items available presently.
Whether utilization certificate of earlier sanction has been forwarded?
Whether Feedback report on assessment of functioning/ utilization of facility enclosed?
Whether Internal Audit/CAG Audit of the facility carried out? If yes, a copy of report to be enclosed.
Increase in number of children, in case of up gradation.
6. Whether a list of items along with cost, proposed to be purchased enclosed?
7. Whether above list is as per the requirement of increase in the number of users, in case of up gradation?
8. Whether cost of items is competitive based on quotations/tenders? Copies of quotations/tenders to be enclosed.
Points to be covered during internal audit of Gym./Recreation/Sports C entre set up/refurbished by grants from Welfare Fund :
1. Whether utilization certificate of earlier sanction, if any, has been sent? Yes / No / Not applicable.
If yes, yes attach a copy. If not, reason for delay.
2. Whether purchase / procurement procedure has been as per GFR, 2005.
3. Whether an official has been made officer-in-charge for receipt/accounting/custody of goods and materials purchased for Canteen? If no, an official may be designated so for this purpose.
4. Whether a separate dead-stock register for fixed assets such as furniture, fixtures, gadgets etc. purchased for Gym./Recreation/Sports Centre from sanctioned amount from Welfare Fund or from other funds is maintained? If No, a separate dead-stock registers to be made.
5. Whether a record of items of perishable nature like etc. is maintained in a separate register? If No, a separate register for perishable shuttle cocks/ balls etc items should be made.
6. Whether inventory for fixed assets is being verified at least once in a year? If Yes, whether goods/material found in good conditions during physical verification and deficiencies/surpluses, if any, noticed? Deficiencies/surpluses investigated and brought to account? Copy of physical verification report carried out previously should be forwarded with the Internal audit report.
If No, system of physical verification should be started.
7. Disposal of goods : If any item declared surplus or obsolete or unserviceable? If Yes, How disposal of the same has been done? Any amount recovered by way of auction/sale of obsolete/surplus items should be refunded to the Welfare Fund.
A membership register should be maintained and receipts of fee being charged issued?
Whether the facility is under utilized/optimally utilized or the facility over stressed due to high/over utilization?
In case of under utilization, for continuation of the facility what measures are proposed to be taken to improve utilization of the existing facility?
If the continuation of the existing facility is being reviewed? If so, when report of review is likely to be ready?
In case the facility is over stressed due to high/over utilization what steps need to be taken up gradation/ capacity enhancement for easing the stress on the facility?
10. Any other comments/matter required to be brought to the notice.
11. Internal audit report should contain a para on overall functioning/performance of the Gym./ Recreation/ Sports Centre including total number of members who availed the facilities during the year and suggestions for bringing further improvement.
12. Copy of Internal audit report to be sent to Directorate of logistics by 31 st March every year for inclusion in the Annual Report on the performance of Welfare funds being submitted to the Governing Body.