Guidelines for Creche
Norms/Guidelines approved by the Governing Body on 23-8-2006 for grant of Financial Assistance from Welfare Fund for setting up of Crèche in Commissionerates :
Crèche Centre will provide day-care services for the children of departmental women officer/staff. Norms for age group of children, number of children, accommodation/space, facilities to be created, caretaking and safety/security of children, monitoring/supervision of running of Crèche amount of financial assistance for setting up of new Crèche, refurbishing or up gradation of existing Crèches are proposed as under:
(a) Age Group and minimum number of children :
1. Crèche facility should be set up for children in age group of 90 days to 10 years.
2. Number of children requiring Crèche in the age group as given at 1 above should be 5 or more.
(b) Accommodation/ space :
1. Accommodation where Crèche is proposed to be set up should be appropriate for number of children needing Crèche facility. Crèche Centre should have a minimum space of 6-8 sq. ft. per child to ensure that they can play, rest, and learn without any hindrance.
2. The Centre should be well lighted with adequate ventilation.
3. The Centre should have clean toilet and sanitation facility for small children.
4. There should be adequate safe play area outside the Centre.
5. The Centre should have a safe and regular drinking water arrangement.
6. There should be a small kitchen or cooking area for warming/preparation of food for children. Kitchen/cooking area must be located at a place which is away from the activity area of the children to avoid accidents.
(c ) Facilities for children :
1. There should be sleeping facilities for children.
2. Essential play material and teaching and learning material must be available to meet the needs of pre-school children.
3. The Centre must be equipped with basic First Aid kit containing pediatric medicines for common ailments like fever, vomiting etc. and ointments, disinfectants, band aids, cotton wool etc. for minor injuries.
(d) Care taking/security/safety of children :
1. There should be proper arrangements for trained or experienced Ayahas for taking care of children.
2. The centre should have a chowkidar for safety and security of children.
3. Responsibility should be assigned to a designated staff/officer to maintain stock/record of the equipments/items provided to Creche. Arrangements for annual verification of equipments/items should also be in place.
(e) Monitoring/supervision/running of Crèche :
1. A Committee having a representative from the women employees requiring Crèche facility should be formed for supervision and smooth running of the Crèche.
2. Crèche should be run on self-sustaining basis. A monthly fee may be charged from the employees availing the Crèche facility for meeting the running expenses.
3. Along with the proposal for setting up of a Crèche, Commissioner should specify fee to be charged in terms of number of children to meet running expenses. Possibility of entering into contract with a Service provider may also be explored following due procedure.
(f) Financial assistance :
(i) For setting up a Crèche :
An illustrative List of items to be provided for setting up a crèche at an approximate estimated cost shall be as given in the List of items.
For setting up a Crèche, amount of financial assistance shall be decided according to number of items and type of item to be provided as per number of children.
No financial assistance from Welfare Fund or from regular budget for paying wages of Ayahas and Chowkidar and any other miscellaneous expenses shall be admissible for running the Crèche.
No funds shall be provided for Civil/Electrical works for setting up a Crèche.
Apart from items mentioned in Annexure'2' any other item necessary may be considered on merit on case to case basis.
(ii) For up gradation of existing Crèche :
1. Request for financial assistance for up gradation (enhancing the capacity) shall be considered depending on the utilization and demand in terms of number of children.
(iii) For refurbishing of an existing Crèche :
Items like crockery, utensils, Soft carpets, Toys, Mosquitoes net, mattresses, Bed sheets, Pillows, Towels, Toys, tricycles, Baby Walker etc. get worn out or broken over a period of time. Such items are required to be replaced after some time of their use. A period of 3 years is considered appropriate for replacement of such items.
For replacement of other items such as Refrigerator, Colour TV, Washing Machine, Air Conditioner a period of 7 years is considered appropriate.
Financial assistance for refurbishing shall be considered after 3/7 years or more of setting up the Crèche depending on the items required for replacement.
Amount of financial assistance shall be 50% of the sanctioned amount of items provided for setting up or actual, whichever is less.
The details of expenditure, if any, made during the years after setting up of Crèche from any other source/regular budget will be taken into account while considering financial assistance for refurbishing. Such details should be furnished while seeking financial assistance for refurbishing.
( g ) For all purchases, procedure prescribed under GFR-2005 and CVC guidelines must be followed.
List of Items
Check List for Crèche
(A) For setting up a new Crèche :
1. Date of establishment of office.
2 Number of women employee.
3. Number of children in age group of 90 days to 10 years.
4. Whether building where facility is required is department's owned building or rented on long term lease?
5. Whether minimum space at the scale of 6 to 8 sq.ft. per child is available?
6. Whether accommodation has proper provision for light and ventilation?
7. Whether facility of toilet and sanitation facility for small children is available?
8. If adequate safe play area outside the centre is available?
9. Whether adequate regular arrangement for supply of safe drinking water is available?
10. Whether kitchen facility is available? If yes, whether it is away from activity area of children?
11. How arrangements for Ayahas and Chowkidars for taking care of children and their safety are proposed to be made?
12. Whether a Committee formed for running/monitoring/supervision of the facility having a representative of each category includes at least one women employee?
13. What are the proposed arrangements for running of the facility on self-sustaining basis? Indicate monthly fee to be charged from employee.
14. Whether a list of items along with cost, proposed to be purchased enclosed?
15. Whether above list is as per the requirement of number of children?
16. Whether costs of items are competitive based on quotations/tenders? Copies of quotations/tenders to be enclosed.
Details of departmental offices and others with their staff strength in the same Building/Block or in the immediate vicinity.
Is there some other Crèche functioning in the immediate vicinity or in the same Building/Block?
Sketch lay out plan of the accommodation where facility is proposed.
What is the one time expenditure required to set up the facility?
What is the estimated recurring expenditure and how it is proposed to be met?
What are safety measures/fire fighting arrangements?
(B) For up gradation/refurbishing of existing Creche:
Details of previous sanction(s)
(a) Amount of sanction,
(b) Date of sanction,
(c ) List of items/gadgets purchased form the Welfare Fund or regular budget,
(d) List of items available presently.
2. Whether utilization certificate of earlier sanction has been forwarded?
3. Whether Feedback report on assessment of functioning/ utilization of facility enclosed?
4. Whether Internal Audit/CAG Audit of the facility carried out? If yes, a copy of report to be enclosed.
5. Increase in number of children, in case of up gradation.
6. Whether a list of items along with cost, proposed to be purchased enclosed?
7. Whether above list is as per the requirement of increase in the number of children, in case of up gradation?
8. Whether cost of items are competitive based on quotations/tenders? Copies of quotations/tenders to be enclosed.
Check list for Auditors for internal audit of Crèche set up/refurbished by grants from Welfare Fund :
1. Whether utilization certificate of earlier sanction, if any, has been sent? Yes / No / Not applicable.
If yes, yes attach a copy. If not, reason for delay.
2. Whether purchase / procurement procedure has been as per GFR, 2005.
3. Whether an official has been made officer-in-charge for receipt/accounting/custody of goods and materials purchased for Crèche? If Yes, mention name and designation of the official in the report.
4. Whether a separate dead-stock register for fixed assets such as furniture, fixtures etc. purchased for Crèche from sanctioned amount from Welfare Fund or from other funds is maintained?
5. Whether a record of items of perishable nature like Bed sheets, Towels etc. is being entered separately in the dead stock register?
6. Whether the physical stock available in the Crèche tallies with the records. Mention the discrepancies, if any, in the audit report.
7. Disposal of goods : Has any item been declared surplus or obsolete or unserviceable in the Audit year? If Yes, manner in which they were disposed off.
Whether a register is maintained for charging of fee from parents of children and receipts of fee being charged issued?
Whether the facility is under utilized/optimally utilized or whether the facility is inadequate to cater to number of children?
10. A descriptive para on overall functioning/performance of the Canteen and suggestions for bringing further improvement.
11. Any other comments/matter required to be brought to the notice.
12. Copy of Internal audit report to be sent to Directorate of logistics by 31 st March every year, the abstracts of which will be included in the Annual Report on the performance of Welfare funds being submitted to the Governing Body.
13. Internal audit report should contain a para on overall functioning/performance of the Crèche indicating total number of children who availed the facility during the year and suggestions for bringing further improvement.
14. Copy of Internal audit report to be sent to Directorate of logistics by 31 st March every year for inclusion in the Annual Report on the performance of Welfare funds being submitted to the Governing Body.